Maryville College Athletics Mission Statement
The MC Intercollegiate Athletics Program encourages the highest standards of competition while fostering a balance between academic and athletic experiences. Athletic participation is a way for our students to grow, learn, and enjoy themselves. The sports programs, staff, and facilities reflect the excellence of our institution, contribute to the quality of campus life, and promote a shared experience with the community and alumni. Our department is committed to operating in an honest and ethical manner within the rules and regulations of the College, the USA South Athletic Conference, and the NCAA.
Philosophy of Athletics
The Department of Athletics observes a general philosophy as outlined and specific institutional benefits derived from athletics include the following:
- Provides unifying activity open to the entire college community through participation as a team member or a spectator.
- Contributes to the development of college spirit.
- Provides an outlet for alumni and local community enthusiasm.
- Encourages financial support from those particularly interested in the program.
- Assists in the development of relationships with other colleges and universities.
- Provides a vehicle for the development of campus leadership.
In addition to the cited points above, there are 12 points provided for in the Statement of Policy which outlines a program of excellence in athletics. It is a program of personal excellence and provides the following personal benefits:
- Develops the concept of teamwork and an understanding of the necessity of subordinating personal desires in the interest of a productive, cooperative effort.
- Stimulates effort that tests capabilities and helps determine limits of physical ability and endurance.
- Offers an opportunity for self-evaluation and the measuring of potential against performance.
- Provides an opportunity to develop self-assurance and self-esteem, and to learn to deal with adversity.
- Develops the ability to make decisions, particularly those that must be made on the spur of the moment, and those that are open to public scrutiny.
- Helps keep playing in a proper perspective in relation to other activities.
- Develops concepts of good sportsmanship.
- Develops control of emotions in tense situations.
- Develops the ability to handle success and cope with failure.
- Develops an understanding of the importance of thorough knowledge of fundamentals in any endeavor, and the value of thorough preparation for effective performance.
- Develops a striving for excellence and an understanding of the lessons which can be learned from mistakes.
- Provides personal enjoyment.